Tuesday 9 March 2010

No pain, no gain… errr right? Too much barefoot running too soon?

It’s been a tough few weeks since I started in the VFFs. Previously unused muscles have been crying, but I’ve tried to brush these aside as being teething problems while I adapt to this new style. Now I’ve got a pain in my left foot that just won’t go away. I’d been feeling this pain all weekend. Each time I move the toes of my left foot either up or down it feel like I’m being stabbed right through the centre of my foot. But even though it hurts I can wiggle my toes, so I don’t think there’s anything broken. As I set off yesterday morning, it was painful each time I stepped on my left foot, but thought I’d be fine once I warmed up. Not that the pain went away, but a whole bunch of other pains popped up to dilute the pain in my left foot and take my mind off it.


Today was the same. I hobbled out of bed like a 90 year old and successfully talked myself into venturing outside for a jog. Happily this was the first time I’ve run in the VFFs on consecutive days, but it was a struggle. What made it worse was the nagging voice in my head telling me, just like Mr You-Don't-Wanna-Do-It-Like-That from the Harry Enfield show, “you’ve done too much too soon, you should have been more patient, who do you think you are running 20 miles a week after only a couple of weeks, and when are you gonna get a haircut?” Really annoying, especially since I know there’s a grain of truth to these concerns.

Fitness in Dubai features reviews of all the latest fitness programmes and local gyms, such as The Circuit Factory, 24 Fitness and CrossFit LifeSpark, as well as reviews of fitness fads, fitness tests and fitness equipment, from Vibram Five Fingers barefoot running shoes to VO2 Max testing. Ultimately, this fitness blog - as featured in Good Taste, Men's Fitness, Time Out and Shape magazines - contains everything you need to know about fitness in Dubai, UAE, in the Middle East. Bookmark it now.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome stuff Paul! Think I'll be sticking to my trainers whilst I'm in London! Keep getting the blog down Mel

    ReplyDelete