Thursday 18 March 2010

Cautionary tale. Broken sesamoid bone from barefoot running

I’m on crutches. I can’t put any weight on my left forefoot without it feeling like my foot is impaled on a huge spike. My X-rays (see right) show I’ve got broken my sesamoid(http://www.sportspodiatry.co.uk/foot_sesamoiditis.htm). The sesamoid bones are the two small oval shapes you can see just below the big toe joint on the X-ray. Obviously my footfalls haven't been quite as light as I'd hoped and these two tiny bones have taken a pounding. Rest is the only prescribed cure. I have no idea when I'll next be able to run.


You can see from below that I’d been feeling a bit of pain, so I’d taken a week off running to allow my feet to recover. I jogged this Tuesday and felt fine, but this morning, as I was about a mile away from home, the pain gradually came back worse than ever, forcing me to stop and walk. As I approached home I could barely walk and thought I’d done some serious damage. I’m really disappointed with myself for being so impatient.

Fitness in Dubai features reviews of all the latest fitness programmes and local gyms, such as The Circuit Factory, 24 Fitness and CrossFit LifeSpark, as well as reviews of fitness fads, fitness tests and fitness equipment, from Vibram Five Fingers barefoot running shoes to VO2 Max testing. Ultimately, this fitness blog - as featured in Good Taste, Men's Fitness, Time Out and Shape magazines - contains everything you need to know about fitness in Dubai, UAE, in the Middle East. Bookmark it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment