Saturday 20 February 2010

“F*ck!” “Bollocks!” “Sh*t and arseholes!” - Vibrams induce Tourettes

My calves were in agony the day after my second proper VFF run. Walking was painful, but going downstairs was a whole new level of excruciating. My feet were sore, too: really achy and tender. Sore calves I’m used to, but sore feet is a new one for me. I can only imagine this is how women’s feet must feel after walking in high heels all night, but trust me, that’s something I never intend to find out.

So, I gave the VFFs a couple of days off and went to the gym instead. Yesterday I was desperate to get them back on and hit the road – not that I’d fully recovered – and the first few minutes were bloody painful until I warmed to my five-mile loop of the Marina. This time also running a stretch of the beach, too (purely to avoid those bloody cobblestones!). It was early, the sun was rising, the beach was empty and it felt really good. Though running on sand is hard work regardless of your footwear.

The more I run, the more I seem to be relaxing into the VFFs. I’m no longer feel like I’m running on eggshells like I was when I started out. And I’m feeling good, maybe not as quick as I am in my Pegasus, but not too far behind, and catching up all of the time. The only unpleasant development from my VFFs so far has been that I’ve caught Tourettes syndrome. Or so it must appear to anyone I pass as I accidentally step on a sharp pebble or shell, or cobblestone. “F*ck!” “Tw*t!” “Shit and arseholes!” I manically cry, though not too loud I hope, but since I’ve got my iPod on I can’t be sure.

Fitness in Dubai features reviews of all the latest fitness programmes and local gyms, such as The Circuit Factory, 24 Fitness and CrossFit LifeSpark, as well as reviews of fitness fads, fitness tests and fitness equipment, from Vibram Five Fingers barefoot running shoes to VO2 Max testing. Ultimately, this fitness blog - as featured in Good Taste, Men's Fitness, Time Out and Shape magazines - contains everything you need to know about fitness in Dubai, UAE, in the Middle East. Bookmark it now.

1 comment:

  1. How funny. That swearing reminds me of the contests I have with my cousin! So English... Good luck with the running!!

    ReplyDelete